Friday, September 16, 2005

D-Day

Gone. Kaput! Poof! He's outta here.

If I have experienced situations like this so many times, how come when it happens again it feels like the first? The problem with me is that I got too attached- professionally and emotionally. We have bonded in such a way that we would be partners at work where he's the brain and I'm the skill. We were able to create great projects together. I can't imagine anyone as smart who can challenge my skills.

We would have gimmicks occassionally. He's guilty of influencing me to go to the beach last April, which was really touching. Of all people who would ask me to go, it had to be him. Not even my older friends in the office would do that (prolly because I'm not that visible, but no hard feelings). Then there's our "educational chismis sessions" every now and then - where I do all the talking while he listens and reacts. We would have little debates, story exchanges, and of course jokes. I'm missing all that now.

Anyway, we didn't let him go without a send off. We gave him something to remember us by and he said that he was so touched. He even had to text everybody to thank us and say that we now know what his soft spot is (gotcha!). The faces were cheerful, yet there was "Loss" written all over.

He thanked me for the support (parang artista ah) assured me that he's not going to burn bridges behind him. And he left me part of his wisdom:

"Always remember to invest not in position but in people you meet. Developing the people around you will leave a legacy which time cannot erase."

I keep with me those lines, plus the wonderful memories we had with the team. I know he didn't resign (so why do I sound like he did?) but it's all different now. I don't know what's going to happen next. I don't like to expect at this point and I'd like to take advantage of the space to detach.

So now, I'm off to work...

No comments: